Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Zion

We made it!  Our 600 mile odyssey is a success. It is hard to describe the beauty we have seen throughout the southern part of Utah. Even though we have been traveling on roads we've still managed to feel the solace of open spaces. We traveled through the last mapped place in the west when we came through the Grand Staircase Escalante. The land is raw, dramatic and majestic. It was a highlight for Mom and Dad to get to Zion National Park especially by bicycle. We've had some crazy weather here with thunderstorms and hail but it has only made everything even more awe inspiring. We rode through the canyon today and it felt as if the whole place belonged only to us. Cars are not permitted and only shuttle buses use the road, it is easy to find yourself alone here. Back at the visitor center I stole the show as people asked about our trip and took pictures of me.   We have one more day of riding only to pick up our rental car. I'll be sad to put a close to this adventure but things went great for us so I'm assured there will be more trips in my future. I'm sure glad I displayed good tent manners because I love camping and bike touring!

1 comment:

Wyebird said...

Congratulations you three. I'm sure you'll savor the many incredible sights & fascinating scents you've experienced along your journey. Sorry to have missed you in Tucson, looking forward to seeing you in the fall. btw, made a tagine-style dish with preserved lime (instead of lemon) on Monday. T'was sooo delicious, and we couldn't have done it without your help, Lori, thanks!!