Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Homemade Gear




This next month will be crazy with trail preparations.  Here are some are some pics of me making a rain cover for my pack.  I have heavily customized my gear for years but his is the first piece of gear I have made from scratch.  In the past we have used professionally-made pack covers but their designs always left something to be desired.  For the last few trails, Lori and I have used heavy-duty grabage bags with some strategic holes cut for pack straps.  These worked surprisingly well but their durability was minimal.  So I decided to build my custom design out of lightweight silicone-impregnated nylon.  Can't tell you how well they work until we put them to the test in some real-world conditions (hopefully we won't need them at all!) but they can't be any worse than the store bought models.  Almost all store-bought pack covers leave the pack exposed where the user's back touches the pack.  This is exactly where water is funneled when it rains!  The main advantage of my design is that the covers this area.  As you can see, there are still holes for the pack straps but I've always said that I'm happy if it keeps out 95% of the rain!

3 comments:

Julie B. said...

The only thing hotter than a cute guy sewing is a cute guy cooking...

Thanks for the blog. Looks good!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a good idea that maybe could be patented if it works as well as you think it might.

snowkatshredhead said...

That's a well designed rain cover, bro! Hope it works well. Your blog looks great great & is well written as we all expect from you:) Let me know if you need me to sell hotlinks & ads or rain covers - HA!